With the start of summer just around the corner, we know many of our members are gearing up for vacations. Whether you’re getting away for the weekend or finally taking that dream vacation you’ve been imagining for years, here are a few things to remember about your VCCU credit card
to make your trip as enjoyable and hassle-free as possible.
Give us a call before you go
Sometimes if you change your normal spending patterns or your credit card is used in an atypical location, it will get flagged for unusual activity. You won’t be able to use it until you give us a call and we know how difficult that can be. So, if you’re planning to spend more than you typically would, or you’re going to a place you don’t usually visit, contact us
first. It will help us to protect your card and it will save you the time and headache of having to call us while you’re away, giving you more time to enjoy your vacation.
Visiting other countries is a great way to learn about different cultures and customs. But remember if you use your VCCU credit card outside of the United States, a foreign transaction fee
of 3 percent will be added to every purchase you make, regardless of whether the transaction is in U.S. dollars.
Save money with Benefits Plus
Sign up for the Benefits Plus program to enjoy discounts on a variety of travel related products and services, including airfare, hotels, cruises, theme park admission, ski lift tickets and more. The program is free for members 55 and older who have a Zeal checking account and only $5/month for all other members.
Additional steps to protect your card
- Bring a copy of the front and back of your card
- Don't leave your cards unattended and take advantage of the hotel-provided safe for valuables
- Save all of your receipts and check them carefully against your monthly statements
- Monitor your accounts online and if you will be gone for an extended time, set up automatic payment of at least the minimum due to avoid fees
- Prepay as much as possible before you travel. Transportation, hotels, pre-planned excursions, and car rental payments made ahead of time will decrease the number of times you actually need to use your credit cards
- Download and use the Apple, Samsung or Android payment apps on your phone
What to do if your VCCU credit card is lost or stolen
It’s not something you want to think about while planning a relaxing vacation, but it does happen. And it helps to be prepared. If your card is lost or stolen while you’re away, call us immediately at 805.477.4000 to prevent fraudulent activity on your account and request a replacement card.