Invitation to first generation college students
Ventura County Credit Union (VCCU) is pleased to provide California State University Channel Islands (CSUCI) with a scholarship opportunity. VCCU’s mission to help the modest means community of Ventura County extends the invitation to all Ventura County senior high school students who would be the first in their family to attend a four-year university. Our Ventura County Credit Union scholarship will award a local student up to a 4-year scholarship for California State University Channel Islands. This scholarship will be awarded to one local student every other year starting in 2023.
Scholarship available to:
- Freshman students
- Open to business, finance, economics, & environmental science & resource management majors
To be eligible for this scholarship, the following criteria applies:
- Must be accepted into CSUCI
- Minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA
- First generation student attending university
- Ventura County resident/graduating from a Ventura County high school
- Enrolled as a CSUCI full time student/minimum of 12 units each semester
- Preferred: Must be a member of VCCU (or dependent of a member) for at least 12 continuous months prior to application*
*If unable to find a student who qualifies for preferred eligibility award may be given to any deserving student.
- Tuition and fees
- Books and Supplies
- Other expenses
- Scholarship will renew each semester for 4 years (8 consecutive semesters)
- Student must continue to meet eligibility requirements every year
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- Good standing with CSUCI
- Attend CSUCI full time
Administration of the scholarship
Scholarship will be awarded by VCCU once a scholastic year for 4 years.
- Annual award amount will be:
- Year One $6,000
- Year Two $6,000
- Year Three $6,000
- Year Four $6,000
- Funds distributions
- Funds to be distributed in August and January at the beginning of each semester
- $3,000 each semester for 4 school years
Application will be accepted between January 1 and April 30, 2023. Award will be announced in May 2023 for school year 2023-2024.
All interested applicants will submit:
Don't wait, apply now! Submit your cover letter, link to your short video housed on Google Drive, YouTube or Vimeo (or the like) and recommendation letter to [email protected] by April 30, 2023.
- Cover letter with your name, physical address, email address, phone number, high school you will graduate from, your parent(s) or legal guardian name if they are the VCCU members, your GPA and anything you would like us to know.
- We want to learn more about you, your passion and how you plan to create change in your community and the next generation of students. Create a short video (60-120 seconds) responding to the following:
- Tell us a little about you and how these funds will help you as a first-generation student.
- What is your passion and how are you currently pursuing it?
- How do you plan to use your passion to uniquely make a positive change in your community?
- How will your education help enable you to pursue your passion and make a change?
- One letter of recommendation from one of the following:
- Community member
VCCU Employees, volunteers, and their immediate family members are not eligible for this scholarship opportunity.
Committee to oversee scholarship choice: At least one VCCU employee CSUCI Alumni, CEO, VP of Marketing, VCCU Volunteer, Director of Financial Equity Programs, Financial Inclusion and Education Manager, and Community Partnerships Manager.