Totally Free Checking Account
At Ventura County Credit Union, we strive to make banking as easy as possible for our members. You can switch to our Totally Free Checking account and enjoy hassle-free transactions that boast the following:
- No monthly Service fees
- No per-check charges
- 24/7 online account access
- Worldwide debit and ATM access
If you’d like, you can review our schedule of fees.
If you are not able to open a traditional account because of ChexSystems reporting, you can call us at 805.477.4000 or stop into one of our offices to get started with our alternative. Before doing so, you can take a look at the fees associated with these accounts.
Protecting You From Overdrafts
When you are researching Ventura County checking accounts, it is important to know your options regarding overdraft protection. We have several ways of preventing members from incurring unnecessary fees, such as the following:
- AdvantageLine Loan: We can link an AdvantageLine loan to any of your saving, checking or other accounts. As a personal line of credit, the loan only incurs interest on the amount you owe.
- Savings to Checking Automatic Overdraft: When your checking account is overdrawn, we can automatically transfer money from your savings account to cover the balance. There is a small fee per transfer applied for the service. However, you can avoid the small charge by making the transfer manually; simply call Telephone Teller, speak with one of our representatives during business hours, head to an ATM or log into your mobile or online account.
- Courtesy Pay: Through this privilege, any overdraft between $500 and $1,000 total will be covered, including the per item fee. Available to all VCCU members in good standing, this no-application-necessary option will prevent additional late payment fees for bounced checks or drafts. Members may opt-in for ATM and point-of-sale coverage. You have 30 days to bring your account balance positive following these transactions. The Courtesy Pay privilege program is a courtesy and is not an extension of credit. Overdraft privilege is not available for ATM withdrawals or PIN-generated debit transactions unless member has opted-in.
You can opt-in for your Courtesy Pay coverage online, or you can also discuss overdraft protection with one of our representatives by calling 805.477.4000. To opt-out of Courtesy Pay coverage at any time, call us or stop by any VCCU office.
Youth Checking Options
Teenagers who are at least 14 years old may qualify for one of our youth checking options. Each applicant must have:
- A Social Security card
- A picture ID (either a school ID or a driver's license)
- An adult family member who can be a joint account signer
In order to get an account, youth can visit any one of our offices. After approval, we can provide an ATM/debit card and discuss other qualifications and overdraft limitations that may apply.
We offer a Benefits Plus membership for credit union members who are 55 or older. This is our way of thanking you for using our institution for home and car loans, savings accounts and daily financial services. Each one of our Zeal accounts comes with:
- No minimum balance
- No monthly fee
- A free ATM/debit card
- No per-check charges
- No direct deposit requirements
Learn more about our Zeal checking options today.
VCCU understands special circumstances where you may need to set up a special account for a particular category of expenses such as household expenses, educational cost, paying credit cards, or anything else, we can help.
Online Check Ordering
Conveniently order your checks online through our online ordering system! Order them for your VCCU checking account. The checks arrive within 7-10 business days at your doorstep. Make sure you have the following things handy when ordering:
- Reorder ID or a check
- Next starting check number
If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call or visit VCCU. Reorder checks now.
What could be more convenient than an ATM? With VCCU locations in Ventura, Oxnard, Camarillo, Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Port Hueneme and Moorpark there’s bound to be one of our no-fee ATMs near you! We also provide fee-free cash only ATMs in all Ventura and Santa Barbara Rite-Aid stores. Because of our network of CO-OP ATMs, you can also use 30,000 ATMs fee-free nationwide. Of course, you can use any other ATM on the Plus, Star, Cirrus and American Express networks. When you use an ATM outside of the CO-OP, there is no VCCU fee for the first five transactions per month. A small fee will be charged for each transaction in excess of five per month.
Make deposits at many CO-OP Network ATMs. Find more than 30,000 nationwide ATM locations. You can withdraw up to $500 per business day from your checking or savings account. Some ATMs also allow you to transfer funds within your accounts.
Check 21 (Check Clearing Act of the 21st Century, also known as Check 21) allows financial institutions to process checks faster by using an electronic image of the check or substitute check to replace your old paper check. The delay with paper checks was due to mailing, now substitute checks can clear in just a couple of hours. If you are curious how Check 21 may affect your check writing habits or you have any other questions, please give us a call. The Federal Reserve also has information about Check 21 online.
Contact Ventura County Credit Union
Thank you for your interest in Ventura Credit Union. If you have any questions, please call us at 805.477.4000 or come in to one of our branches. We look forward to you becoming a member and joining the family!